Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ocean Sunsets Never Get Old

Once again, for great photo-ops, leave the camera at home

Headed back home from an appointment this evening, I decided to stop by a place I hadn't been for a while - the beach - and catch the sunset. Once upon a time, the beach was my second home...scratch that, it was my first, but for a variety of reasons these days I don't get there so much.

Immediately upon arriving, the sound of crashing waves, the smell of the ocean air, the long vista over the horizon, and the sensation of sand and water beneath my feet took me back. Memories of times in life, of places, experiences, and people flooded into consciousness. I don't think any other place has so recurrently in my life been a focal point for vivid memories. Though nature in general through its mountains, forests, skies, canyons and open plains has always captured my spirit and spurred my imagination, the ocean is my soul. Through memories of the beach and water, it seems I can track the full chronology of my life.

On this evening I had the whole of the experience to myself. Low clouds and high tide apparently deterred other visitors, save the gulls and a few surfing pelicans. These brief, quiet moments allowed me introspection, perspective, and a reminder of how much I missed this place in the years I lived far away. It's nice to be back. Mahalo moana. See you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff dude. I always enjoy seeing the surfing pelicans. I think my girlfriend is bored with me "that is just so cool. do you see them surfing?" EVERY time I see them. It kinda reminds you that even though can't *do* something, you can still do it in a way.

    Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfing pelicans are the best. I never cease to be amazed, either!

    ReplyDelete