Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day @ Griffith Park


I wasn't feeling too good today (upper respiratory infection + mystery rash on legs from last week's hike + unspecified digestive disorder + unspecified psychological drama = not my best day), but fortunately my friend Michelle talked me into taking an easy little hike.  I'm glad we went, as it was a beautiful, sunny, Southern California, 80 degree February day, and I definitely feel better for it.

We cruised up to Griffith Park, parked near the Greek Theatre, and wandered semi-randomly along the many available trails, eventually and quite accidentally completing a perfect circuit route that took us to the peak of Mt. Hollywood and back down to the theatre.  According to my google map of the route, it was a 3.8 mile trip with about 800' of elevation change.  Just enough to get the heart rate up without too much stress.

No pictures, sorry, but I did make the cool Google Earth view above, showing the Griffith Observatory in the foreground and downtown Los Angeles in the distance.  Also visible from the summit were the snowy San Bernardinos, an unusually doctored version of the Hollywood sign, and a very content bumblebee, also enjoying the view.  Good times!

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I would like to know a little more about the mystery rash. Sounds like a great hike. I wish it was 80 degrees here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mystery rash is currently believed to be poison oak. Although none was witnessed during the hike, the doctor told me today that it looks like a "contact dermatitis" as opposed to a bug bite (the evil trombiculid mites were also a suspect, as tall grass was tromped through). New rashes continue to appear, however, now over a week later. I will be washing my shoes and day pack tonight.

    ReplyDelete