Sunday, February 7, 2010

Among the Green Spikeys

Google Earth view of today's hike

I went for a short little Super Bowl Sunday hike today, just to loosen up the legs a little, and enjoy all the pretty green in the mountains from our recent rains. I've always enjoyed driving past Malibu Creek State Park, and what I call the "green spikey mountains," so today I decided to go immerse myself amongst them!

From the Cistern trailhead, I meandered through the canyons about 2.5 miles out and then back along the Cistern, Lookout, Cage Creek, Crags Road, and Lost Cabin trails. Many portions of the trail were flooded, so there was a little bushwacking and rock scrambling along the way, but nothing serious. There was minimal elevation gain along the path, although Cage Creek does have a short and significant climb. About an hour out, nice relaxed lunch on a big fallen tree log, and an hour back.

I got nice views of the green spikey mountains (unfortunately pretty washed out in this into-the-sun shot)...


...as well as goat buttes ("huhuh, hey Beavis, you said butt")


Along the way, I saw some relics from an old filming location of the hit TV show M*A*S*H (not to be confused with the game you played in elementary school). The vehicles do not appear drivable.


There weren't too many people out, and the weather was great, so this was a perfect little Sunday jaunt. I even got back in time to catch the second half and the Saints' improbable victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment