Monday, November 22, 2010

To the Valley of Death


My neighbor Amir, newly arrived from Iran, asked me last night what my plans were for the Thanksgiving holiday. The expression [of shock, horror, and sheer bewilderment] on his face when I said "I'm going camping in Death Valley" was pretty classic. "Death Valley?!" After an explanation that Death Valley was a national park, he seemed much more settled, though I still wonder what those from arid places must think of the idea that people would voluntarily go to the desert and sleep in a tent for leisure.

The thing is, I can't wait to get out of LA.

Prepared for Death (Valley)

The car is loaded and ready to go, complete with 19,000+ kcal of nourishment for the week. This is not including two planned Thanksgiving feasts with a large group of extended family who will join me for the trip. I'm most excited about the prospect of having Thanksgiving dinner with my mom for the first time in 14 years.

I'm also looking forward to some great hiking, stargazing, sunrises, and sunsets. Plus I hear there are a ton of ravens, and given my recent fascination with their crow brethren, I'm definitely gonna have to check them out.

Back with a report in a week...

No comments:

Post a Comment