Friday, October 1, 2010

Mountainward

The Sierra Nevada, photo credit Weather Underground

People seem surprised when I tell them I've never been to the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada, or driven US-395 through the infamous Owens Valley. These mountains are the source of much of California's water, the inspirational stomping grounds of John Muir, and a cherished escape to many an outdoor adventurer. But until now, I've known it only from pictures and stories. That's all about to change.

31,593 kcal of fuel for the road

My friend Brian, who does know this land and arrives from Texas in the morning, has set up an awesome itinerary that will take us to high elevation alpine lakes, forests, and mountain passes... assuming mother nature cooperates. It is, after all, a transitional time of year, and the weather forecast looks dicey. Bring on the adventure, I say, for preparations have been been made, our will is strong, and listening to mountains has yet to lead me wrong.

The gear layout

to the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment