Thursday, July 1, 2010

Midyear Checkup

At the beginning of the year I said to myself:

"self, I'd like to get out and about in the outdoors this year."

I decided I'd make a point to try to camp one weekend a month, and go for a hike (or other outdoorsy adventure) once a week.

A few months ago (while wandering about the wilderness), I started thinking about translating that into some more concrete metrics. Not because metrics are necessarily well suited to the wilderness (in fact most of me thinks they're entirely beside the point), but just to give me something to shoot for - to keep me accountable to the goal. And to entertain the readers. I decided on the following three targets:
  • 250 miles of cumulative hiking (or about 5mi/week)
  • 29029 feet of cumulative hiking elevation gain (sea level to the top of Everest)
  • 1 month (30 days) of cumulative camping nights
Now at midyear, I figured I'd check in to see where I stand.

To help illustrate the point, I've broken out and updated the once-famous "thermometer charts" I made long ago in a former life. I even threw in some earned-value schedule performance metrics (shout out to Rhino!)

Overall things look good, cranking along ahead of schedule at a blistering 1.37 SPI. Mileage is looking good, two-thirds of the way to the year-end goal...


The elevation goal is nearly there already, and should be after this weekend. I may revise to a 50k' target...


However, it looks like I need to spend some more time in the tent!


This is one schedule I can't wait to update...

No comments:

Post a Comment