Monday, June 7, 2010

Ready for Rainier

Last summer in Seattle, I saw this picturesque view of Mt. Rainier off in the distance.

The image never left my mind. So, a year later, I'm going.

In the modern age of airline security restrictions, air travel with gear to outdoor destinations is tough. No stoves means I'll be going non-perishable and no-cooking-required on the food front. Going to a wedding on the way means an extra set of fancy clothes I usually wouldn't be taking to the wilderness, and at $25 per bag per leg for checked luggage, I elected to take my big rolling suitcase instead of the backpack. This means no hike-in camping. Since I'm going solo that's probably the best move anyhow.

Pre-departure gear layout

The weather forecast is calling for 50deg highs and 30deg lows with a chance of rain and potentially snow. That should help reduce both crowds and bugs. It may also reduce views of the mountain, but I'm hoping for the best! Snow levels are predicted as low as 4500', so I'm definitely expecting a chance to try out my new crampons. Snowshoes would be nice, but not worth the cost of another checked bag. There's no plan for a summit attempt, but I do have some pretty aggressive hikes scoped out.

Also on deck for this trip are visits to Eugene, Portland, St. Helens, and wherever else the wind may blow me. I'm super stoked!

Back with a report in a couple weeks. Until then, farewell...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck man. I'm digging the crampons and the pre-departure obligatory picture. You should write up a list of the things you take and pair that up with the types of hikes some day. It was really helpful for me preparing for the RTW adventure when I found sites of people who detailed their packing lists.

    I think I've heard from a friend that there are hot springs up there as well... so hope you've got a bathing suit in the mix as well.

    Might help:
    http://www.hotspringsenthusiast.com/Washington.asp

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete