Sunday, May 9, 2010

Holy Batcave, Batman!

This doesn't even really count as a hike, but today I went to Griffith Park in my sandals with my beach chair, looking for a nice spot to sit down for the afternoon and read a book. I wandered up a trail and stumbled into what turns out is the infamous Batcave.

I didn't have my camera, but here's a picture that somebody else took:

Bronson (Bat)cave

I had no idea I'd visited the Batcave until I came home, googled the place, and found all this information about it.

I thought the cave was kind of cool, but actually spent more time scrambling around on the nearby hills, trying to get up on top of a sweet rock to sit my chair down and chillax. Let me tell you, that place is rockslide city, and I was not at all equipped. I did eventually find a nice spot with a view of the Hollywood sign, and enjoyed my afternoon, but not before cutting my feet and hands up trying to climb steep, slippery rockslides on the back side of the cave. At one point after clamboring up a particularly nasty section, I set my chair down in a nice, shady spot (next to a rock wall), only to be greeted within moments by falling rocks from above. No bueno.

Aside from the sliding rock, this place is quite nice. A quiet, peaceful place to listen to the birds, the wind, and take in a little mountain view. The hike itself is trivial (15min roundtrip), and for those with a thing for Batman or Star Trek, the cave is a nice bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment