Sunday, January 9, 2011

Return to Ladyface


A year ago today I summited Ladyface Mountain for the first time. It was a pre-dawn hike, timed to arrive for sunrise. I'm a symbolic, cerebral kind of guy, so the steep sunrise hike wasn't an accident. It was meant to reflect a new beginning, the start of a new adventure, and that it most certainly did. I'm also a romantic kind of guy, and there was a certain someone I hoped would join me there. She didn't show, and though it took some time for me to realize, accept, and ultimately come to peace with that, it was in the end for the best.

I'm also a nostalgic kind of guy, and those who know me won't be surprised that I planned a return to Ladyface on the anniversary, this time for sunset. I won't spell out the symbolism. It turned out great.

Friends Jay and Julia came along for the expedition, which after more careful study of my topo map was actually a 2.1mi/1216' elevation trek (vs. the 2mi/1000' reported last year). Here's a Google Earth snapshot of the route. It's pretty steep.

Ladyface Mountain ridgeline route

We made good progress uphill to a steep grade just east of the 1818' subpeak, where my partners decided the view was just fine, and I could have the remainder of the quadrupedal rock-scramble to myself. This too I found fittingly symbolic. I'm extraordinarily grateful for the quality of my friends, and the support and companionship they've provided me through the years. But as was once said in a song that I really dig...

There comes a time in every man's life when he's gotta handle s**t up on his own.

So on I climbed, arriving a few minutes later at the summit:

Ladyface Summit

The setting sun was poking through beneath a set of dark, gray clouds as it settled over the Santa Monicas, creating some really striking crepuscular rays (how 'bout it Jay?). I took a moment to document the moment:


Looking below and to the east from the summit, the "false summit" is clearly visible. I call it the "false summit" since last year I had arrived there to find a giant American flag and a summit registry (evidently indicating that more than a few thought it was the summit). I'd noticed then (and later confirmed via topo) however that a point to the west (the actual summit) appeared higher. Weird, huh?

Looking east to the "false summit"

The false summit has a very prominent, cool-looking rock outcropping that I suppose would be a sexier summit, especially since it requires some light climbing to get to:

Google Earth (false)-summit view

Nonetheless, the false summit is, in fact, false. Still it seemed fitting to return there enroute down to make another registry entry, but alas upon arrival both the registry and the flag were gone.

So, after sunset I SCCampered back down to J&J, and together we made our way down the hill. Again I heard the calls of owls, and an occasional coyote yip. Julia didn't think too much of the prospect of coyotes (the poor, beleaguered, misunderstood coyote), so we made haste. Safe and sound back at the car, I bid Ladyface a final farewell and enjoyed a fine, home-cooked meal with great friends, just as I did a year ago.

Aloha.

Photo Credit Jay F.

4 comments:

  1. I was really diggin the cerebral & symbolism (or symbology if I was watching the boondock saints), and then you drop a pharcyde link. Wow.

    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it symbolically noteworthy that last year you were on the false summit, while the actual summit was unclear, unmarked, without a register, and apparently known by few. And this year you knew enough to know exactly where the real summit was. Or maybe that isn't noteworthy at all, but it sounds like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most definitely on both counts. The "false summit" allegory didn't even hit me until I was writing the blog post, but man is it right on.

    Thanks for reading fellas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn, just wanted to say, that I'm glad to see you continuing the blog as it's one that love reading. No pressure of course.

    Nice views from the top there and getting some perspective on not only the scenery, but your travels.

    ReplyDelete