Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just Another Sunny Southern California Day

Today was one of those days that makes me grateful for the diversity of outdoor opportunities in Southern California. I'll be the first to admit that the LA area is lacking in spectacular wilderness, and it's pretty hard to find quiet nature spots to yourself. However, there are many spectacular spots of varied flavor within a half day's drive, and even staying relatively local one can get a decent mixed plate.

I started this morning with a hike in Monrovia Canyon Park, where there's a surprisingly pleasant amount of tree cover, a nice, quiet little stream, and even this nifty waterfall:

Must...learn...to...focus

On the way I saw a deer skirting along the road, and later wished she'd come through and eat some of the P.O. along the trail. I also spotted a curious looking squirrel that I believe was a Western Gray. It was unusually large for squirrels I've seen in this area, with long legs, and surprisingly skinny. Maybe it should fatten up on P.O. too. Or it could learn to metabolize padlocks. There are plenty to go around at the park:

Closed means closed

After the hike and a nice chat with a new friend I met at the park (who advises me, by the way, that squirrels forget about 75% of the nuts they stash - incredible!), I went to the Rose Bowl and ate lunch under a tree. Sitting under a tree and eating lunch is an underappreciated joy. Know who knows this? Squirrels. Go ahead, try it. Tell me I'm wrong.

I was seriously contemplating getting in the car and driving north a couple hours to a nice, quiet, and very dark place that I figured would be perfect for checking out the Perseid meteor shower, but I couldn't scare up a travel companion, so instead I bailed and met my buddy Jon (a.k.a. Will Clark, of Lewis and Clark) at the beach. Good move as it was a beautiful day, and he had a righteous BBQ going. Don't believe me? Check out the spread:

Feeds four avid carnivores, plus Sam

Not to mention the giant bowls of fresh fruit and vegetables. Ok, so I just mentioned them. They were great. But before we ate we ventured out in the surf, where I managed to practice my underwater takeoffs and ride a handful of 2' whitewater mushburgers. Good times! I remember days like this when I used to drag out Kai da inflatable gator...

Coronado, May 2005

And so I reiterate...there aren't many places where one can go to walk in the woods and check out a waterfall in the morning, have a picnic lunch under a tree, consider driving to the mountains for a meteor shower, but instead decide to spend the afternoon at the beach under sunny, 75 degree skies riding little waves and feasting with good friends. Gotta love it, right?

Aloha.

1 comment:

  1. I havent seen sun in coastal san diego in months. the june gloom is still here.

    ReplyDelete